Pilates is one the safest and most effective methods of exercise and relaxation for women who are pregnant.
If you are new to Pilates you can start pregnancy classes any time from about 16 weeks. It is not too late if you are 34 weeks and reading this either! Any Pilates is better than no Pilates.....
Pregnancy classes at Pilates Lifestyle focus on breathing, posture, stretching and strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor, oblique abdominals, back, arms and pelvis.
An all inclusive class that will leave you feeling relaxed, energized and good about yourself.
In pregnancy, the pressure of the growing uterus on the spine causes the centre of gravity to change.
With an increased curve in the back, and the separation of abdominal muscles, many women develop backache and poor posture.
A Pilates workout during pregnancy focuses on exercises & stretches to help strengthen the core and stabilise the pelvis. Core muscles include the pelvic floor (the muscles which control the functions of the bladder and bowel), the transverse abdominis (which lies beneath the womb) and engages jointly with the pelvic floor and the glutueal muscles as they are connected internally with your transverse abdominis and play an important role in pelvic stability.
What are the benefits?
• Pilates encourages deep breathing and relaxation
• Classes will help to get your baby into the right position for birth
• Pilates encourages mind body focus – a useful skill for giving birth
• Pelvic floor strength is essential for the prevention of stress incontinence
• Core control will help to support, stabilise the back and pelvis.
• Pilates helps to reduce the risk of problematic pre & postnatal conditions
• Improved circulation, to prevent swollen legs and cramping feet & calves
• Pilates exercises are adapted as your body changes.
• Pilates will make you feel better and stronger as your pregnancy progresses.
• Pilates will help you get back into shape more quickly after the birth.
• After a Pilates class you will be rewarded with a wonderful night’s sleep!